Re: [OM] Sigma 170-500mm 1:5-6.3 Lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Sigma 170-500mm 1:5-6.3 Lens
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2014 13:17:35 -0800
On 12/9/2014 7:30 AM, Chris Trask wrote:
      Wow!  Check out this Sigma 170-500mm 1:5-6.3 lens on the Goodwill auction
site:

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Sigma-170-500mm-15-63-D-Lens-19086258.html

Your ability to ferret out lenses I've never heard of is impressive. Back when so many of us were active with film OMs, there were two similar lenses that had decent reps. The Tamron 200-500 SP was probably the one with best rep. Whether because it was more readily available for OM because of the Adaptall-2 mount, so more people had or had used it, I don't know.

The other was the Tokina 150-500/5.6, far rarer in fixed OM mount. I have one. I got some good results on film. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/MPhotos/Home/Towhee.htm>

But when I tried it on digital, it just didn't perform well. I don't know why. Some time after my first foray, I thought maybe I'd been sloppy before, and sat down to take time and care. Still, IQ more suited for my Alt gallery than conventional prime time. Kinda smeary.

Be Fuddled Moose