[OM] Portrait panoramas and velbon UT43

Subject: [OM] Portrait panoramas and velbon UT43
From: SwissPace <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 11:36:24 +0100

This year has been quite the worst I have experienced for some time with 5 family deaths, paycuts and now my father in law will be in and out of hospital over christmas and for the foreseeable future, sure things could be worse but they could also be better.

Anyway my photography has taken quite a back seat and motivation has been low, however I am hoping that they new year brings new energy and interest to my picture taking,I hope to spend a few weeks in wales next year and am looking for a new angle to my images.

I have the panorama mode built into my camera but it only works in images landscape mode and I would like to take some images in portrait mode and stitch them. I recently bid on a nodal ninja 3 but when the price edged up towards the cost of a new one I had second thoughts.

I have a great tripod but its rather large to carry so I have been looking for a light hiking tripod, I looked at the befree but then I remembered moose's recent post on the velbon ultrek and it gets favorable reviews not only from moose. I see that there is a version with a panorama ball head and wonder if any one has used a ball head for panoramas in landscape mode or would I need something extra like the nodal ninja which is clearly up to the task. Cost is an issue though so i would be interested in how others are doing it.

I am thinking of pulling the trigger on a velbon UT43Q with QHD-U4Q but am hesitating because I am not sure if the camera would catch on the legs or something else as it is rotated

Thanks in advance

Ian Wilcox