Re: [OM] Andean Portraits [was Shepherd, Farmer, Knitter]

Subject: Re: [OM] Andean Portraits [was Shepherd, Farmer, Knitter]
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2014 13:30:01 -0500
I missed this one when it first came around. I'm afraid I have to side with Moose on this one since, your protestations to the contrary, visually the shepherd's nose doesn't strike me as sharp even in the small web image.

I decided to double check myself and your comments about aperture. After sizing up the image I decided that the height that's covered is approximately 18". You used a 90mm lens on a full frame camera which means that the camera was 3.75 feet from the subject if the image covers 18" on the long side. You say you shot the image at f/9.5. Even using a very modest resolution value of 30 lines/mm (CoC = 0.033mm) the total depth of field for those parameters is only 3.6" and almost evenly distributed between the near and far focus points. Your statement that the depth of field is plenty to cover the eyes and nose is true, if, and only if, you nailed the focus somewhere between the eyes and tip of the nose. If your true focus point was the eyes (and you actually achieved that) the tip of the nose would have to be not more than 1.8" ahead of the eyes to remain in focus. I don't know about Leica but Canon doesn't guarantee that autofocus is any more accurate than somewhere within the depth of field... a reasonable position since, by definition, anything within the depth of field is in focus.

The point that I'm trying to make is that your aperture settings and depth of field notions likely don't always work. The depth of field on this image (which is not stringent) is so restricted that it requires perfect focus from both you and the camera. Even if the camera nails perfect focus at f/2 the parameters are so tight even at f/9.5 that if you even waver 1/4" you're going to miss the focus. And I agree with Moose... in this case you have missed the focua... and a lot of others you've shown here as well. f/9.5 is not a small aperture yielding a large depth of field when you're very close to the subject at 90mm.

Chuck Norcutt