Re: [OM] IMG: Borg

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Borg
From: Marc Lawrence <ozlangur@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 11:11:32 +1100
On 17 December 2014 at 10:37, Tina Manley <tmanley@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> But some hobbies can actually contribute something to society, make the
> world a better place, contribute to the well-being of others, actually make
> a difference in the world.  I just cannot imagine such self-indulgence.

Some hobbies no doubt can so contribute. But it doesn't so extend that
participation in even such a hypothetical hobby guarantees contribution "to
the well-being of others". A hobby by general definition and understanding
is something done for "self-indulgent" pleasure, and, for example, most
that participate in photography as a hobby (most of those on this and most
every photography forum) do so for just such a reason - any contributory
benefits to society are, if existent, a side-effect. I am not going to
criticise or dismiss someone else's self-indulgence just because it is not
congruent with my own preferences for pleasure.

Marc (hobbyist photographer)
Ingebirah, Oz