Re: [OM] OM 180mm F2.8 opinions

Subject: Re: [OM] OM 180mm F2.8 opinions
From: Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 08:33:53 -0800
How does the OM 180 F2.8 stack up weight wise to other legacy glass or even
current lenses?
I find the Canyon 200mm/F2.8 pretty heavy,especially given A7 is a little
lighter than an OM1.

OM  180/F2.8:              700g
Nikon 180/f2.8  ED  :    822g
Sigma 180/F2.8 APO currently available  1630g
Canon 200mm/F2.8 (MD ver) 790g, I have
Canon 200mm F2.8 EF USM L series currently avail 820g
Minolta 200mm/F2.8 APO Minolta/Sony Amount 790g

The OM is the lightest.

AG and Chuck recomended against the 2.8 lens, for weight reasons as the small
OM 200mm/F4 is respectable quality, especially if stopped down all the time,so
no vibration, as in an EVF camera. I think for travel they are right, even 700g
is a lot to lug around while traveling.

Now that I have used my 200mm Canyon a bit ,
things I like :

1) it seems  sharp at F2.8

2) great narrow depth of field
3) nice really smooth IF makes focusing a breeze

4) focus works well in viewfinder at normal magnification,focus aid helps on
the rear view screen
5) Solid construction and nice slide out locking hood.

things I don't like
1) the weight ,it is quite tiring to hold and shoot with
2) the zoomed in focus aid is difficult to use, because it is so high
magnification and there is slight viewfinder delay which is not noticable
normally, but makes it more difficult when holding heavy lens.

3) Purple fringing ,means extra work in PS

Seems like a real advantage of the similar Nikon 180 ED, is less purple
fringing cost is 300-400 so a bit more expensive?

The Nikon 180mm ED ,F2.8  being ED glass should have less purple fringing than
legacy OM or Canyon
http://matthewdurrphotography.com/2012/06/02/lens-review-nikon-180mm-f2-8-ai-s-ed/

http://mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/180200mmnikkor/index.htm

Tim