[OM] Simple, Q & D focus stacking [was Paphiopedilum Orchid focus stack

Subject: [OM] Simple, Q & D focus stacking [was Paphiopedilum Orchid focus stack]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2014 20:04:23 -0800
Taken outside to get a nice background at end of Oct in late afternoon.
Only managed to get four useable shots to stack due to pesky breeze. Could have
used a couple more.

http://www.olyendomike.com/Macro/Macro-2014/35815144_mTn4JH#!i=3776100023&k=p3XdJnW&lb=1&s=L

Lest anyone think only such careful precise, focus stacking, using special software, is the only use of the idea, I offer this very simple, two shot focus stack. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Focus%20Stacking/_1160116-17.htm>

On a fiveish mile hike, we walked by this attractive Sticky Monkey Flower plant. No way to get both groups in focus at once. No time or equipment for some fancy tripod and focusing rail stuff. Just a couple of hand held shots, one focused on each pair of flowers, and a little effort to keep framing about the same.

Done in PS by stacking the two shots, moving the top one to more or less align them, then selecting and painting a mask on the top one.

Works just fine for me. Would anyone guess it's combined without the originals? Just looks to me like they happened to be aligned in the same focal plane.

I've previously posted these images, where simple focus stacking of the same kind has been used to compensate for the very shallow DoF @ 300 mm. Once again, hand held. These are really large ferns, those heads are already a few feet off the ground. I don't really recall clearly, but I'd guess I'm shooting at 12 ft. or more, not near close focus. (Why don't my cameras include focal distance in the metadata??)

As you can see, even at f9, the DOF is very shallow, no more than perhaps an inch or so before things start getting soft. Imagine shooting these at f4. I can only get the whole head in focus with simple focus stacking. (Yeah, I know, you can't do that with even slightly moving subjects, let alone hand held.) ;-)

Fern fiddle head I
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Oly75-300/FiddleHead1.htm>

Fern fiddle head II
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Oly75-300/FiddleHead2.htm>