[OM] Fwd: Paphiopedilum Orchid focus stack

Subject: [OM] Fwd: Paphiopedilum Orchid focus stack
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2014 15:42:49 -0500

DH writes:
<<<Very nice to my eye.  For a shallow subject, would you tend to use a focus adjustment, or a rail adjustment?

Thanks for lookin'.

Both work. If you are using a "long throw" MF macro lens it is easier to use the focusing helicoid. If the FL changes though as is common with macro lenses, the mag changes and more artifacts can be produced. The framing seems to change less with using a rail--you'd have to ask Dr. Focus as to why. (yes, I have checked both methods with the same shot) There is software to focus stack with AF lenses, though I have never used that technique. Oh, and you have to be careful about the framing at the extremes of the stack. Using the focusing helicoid starting at the front, I think that is the narrowest field of view. It is the opposite using a rail. Hope I have that right. Just check both ends of focus before getting started to be sure all will be included as planned.
Mike