Re: [OM] (OT) Adios, Joe!

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) Adios, Joe!
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2014 10:27:26 -0600
There's a huge resurgence in vinyl popularity, mostly driven by nostalgia,
I believe. I'm not one of those who is saying that unilaterally vinyl
sounds far superior to digital - I've got plenty of vinyl, and close to
2000 cd's. It's all in the mastering. I've heard vinyl that was poorly
mastered as well. I don't miss surface noise, pops, scratches, warps. I
don't miss increasing distortion as the tonearm moves to the tighter-radius
curves on the inside tracks. The first time I could listen to Kansas'
"Monolith" album was when I bought the CD, since I went through 5 copies of
the vinyl release and could never get one that wasn't warped or full of
foreign matter in the vinyl that caused serious pops and skips.

I do miss full-size album art and liner notes. I also miss the programming
on vinyl - since you had to flip it over, generally the producer would
front-load side "A" with the strong songs, then the energy waned a bit.
Then they'd put more strong songs at the top of side "B" and go from there.
That way, the energy had ups and downs. When CD started to become popular,
new releases would front-load all of the hits at the top of the cd and it
often just went downhill from there.

I think a lot of the current revival of vinyl comes from the "hipster"
movement where they'll say that vinyl is obviously superior and if you
can't tell that, you're clearly deaf.

--

Paul Braun WD9GCO
Certified Music Junkie