[OM] USB Turntables etc, was Re: (OT) Adios, Joe!

Subject: [OM] USB Turntables etc, was Re: (OT) Adios, Joe!
From: "Ian Manners" <void@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2014 01:04:22 +0800 (WST)
Hi Chuck,

> I saw some of those new fangled turntables in the aisle at a Walmart
recently.  Now I know what they're designed to play.

I bought one, gave it away, seen several other people
with them. My hearings going but I can certainly see
why they are 'cheap', meaning from AU$50 - AU$300.

The audio quality is dreadful.

I've ended up using a Sansui belt drive, and a Technics
direct drive turntable with a small RIAA amp for the LP's,
and a 10x non compensated amp for the 78's. The output
of the preamp goes direct to the dedicted sound card in
my PC. The results are so much better.

I use a Ortofon OM cartride with 78 Stylus for the 78's,
and an Ortofon 2M Red for the LP's.

I can see why the OM's are called frieght trains by DJ's.

Using a decent USB AD converter should get the same
results, I was thinking of getting one and using with a
laptop but what I had won out.

Cheers
Ian Manners
Of nowhere in particular.