Re: [OM] (OT) Field Glasses recommendations

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) Field Glasses recommendations
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2014 10:26:01 -0800
Bob, the photos I've seen of you show you wearing glasses correct? Then look for the longest 'eye relief' you can find. 15mm at the very, _very _ minimum. 17mm+ would be better. I did a lot of trying a few years ago and that was the main lesson that I learned. I rejected a bunch of otherwise stellar optics for their short eye relief. I ended up with these very fine Pentax but they are too heavy and at 10x to much magnification for general travel. Pentax does seem to give good bang for the peso though so you might give their smaller models a try. One thing that sold me on the Pentax below was the rapid acquisition of the image. i.e. the ability to bring up the binoculars and see the bird or whatever with a minimum of fuss. The Pentax beat out some much higher priced models in this regard giving up very little brightness and clarity. That mostly around the edges. The image just snapped into focus. Bottom line, try before you buy. This can't be stressed enough for such a personal choice.

<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/278461-USA/Pentax_62616_10x43_DCF_SP_Binocular.html>

Mike