Re: [OM] USB Turntables etc, was Re: (OT) Adios, Joe!

Subject: Re: [OM] USB Turntables etc, was Re: (OT) Adios, Joe!
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2014 15:13:49 -0800
On 12/24/2014 10:08 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
I think a lot of the current revival of vinyl comes from the "hipster"
movement where they'll say that vinyl is obviously superior and if you
can't tell that, you're clearly deaf.
It all depends on the source material. I'm of the opinion that
anything that has ever been touched by digital in any form will have
had the goodness stripped out of it. ... Vinyl has a sense of more "presence" and
"air" which is
lost with all other mediums. While not accurate, it does create a more
pleasing sound. Combine that with the spacial accuracy, listening to a
carefully crafted stereo recording is an experience (especially if
your speakers are time-coherent) unmatched by anything else. Working
with the BBC, NPR and WGBH, as well as several other top names in the
recording industry, I was heavily involved in extensive testing of
these theories.

And I believe you - in general. Individual specifics? Well ...

Roberta Flack "The First Time Ever I saw Your Face" is an example. The remastered CD version on Greatest Hits is a revelation. Her voice floats in this spacious, rich, eloquent silence that just isn't there on any real world vinyl. No hiss, pops, hum, just ambient space. I know nothing about the original recording or remastering, but whatever it is, the combination is magic. Nothing else on the album technically as interesting/amazing.

Played from a FLAC RIP => VBR(libmp3lame) V2 mp3, via iPhone, Bluetooth, Adcom amp,
B&W 805s. Heaven.

Sonically Satisfied Moose