Re: [OM] Unusual aircraft

Subject: Re: [OM] Unusual aircraft
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2014 07:31:13 -0600
You make a good point, Chris. I guess I was thinking more of turbojet spool-up time.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA

On 12/26/2014 7:27 AM, Chris Trask wrote:
 From what I can find with G**gle, the engine power is close to
original, but propeller efficiency is probably higher.

The original Dakotas had Wright 1100 and P&W 1200 hp engines. The
conversion is reported to use Pratt and Whitney Canada PT6A-67R engines
of 1281 shp.

The old radials would probably respond more rapidly to a full power
application, but the turbos would win an extended climb. They can also
operate to 25,000 ft.

      In the early turboprop conversions, the engines and props were so light
compared to the P&Ws that the prop disk was about even with the nose so as to
get the balance correct.

      Turboprops in general respond much faster than recips as the prop is
constant speed.  When you adjust power, the pitch of the prop changes, so there
is no rotation momentum to deal with.  On the C-130, throttle response is all
but instantaneous.

Chris

      - Hunter S. Thompson