Re: [OM] Unusual aircraft

Subject: Re: [OM] Unusual aircraft
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2014 14:57:11 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>>     The worst jet engine I ever experienced was the Continental on the T-37
>>trainer.  You moved the throttle and waited.  Far worse than any recip I've
>>ever encountered, even with metal props.  The basic problen was that it had
>>a single-stage compressor that was a casting.
>

>Don't even mention the loud scream it made.

     Which is how it earned nicknames such as "The Tweet", "The Flying
Dogwhistle", "Screaming Mimi", "The Airplane That Turns Jet Fuel Into Noise",
etc.

     One of the worst insults to military aviation was when we re-engined some
of those, added hardpoints for externals, and turned it into the A-37 ground
support plane.  They were shot out of the sky like flies, same as what happened
when the Israelies turned some of their Fouga Magister trainers into ground
support attack planes.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson