Re: [OM] Formatting card from computer

Subject: Re: [OM] Formatting card from computer
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2014 09:19:53 -0500
Thanks, I was unaware of the SD formatter. However, after reviewing the content of the page you linked and the Wiki article on SD cards I am not at all concerned about my occasional formatting of SD cards in my computer. I saw no information on either site to support the contention that "*regular* formatting on a computer is actually bad for SD cards". What is there says that "Using generic formatting utilities may result in less than optimal performance for your memory cards" and also goes on to imply that other formatting utilities might overwrite the "protected area" of SD cards. One can get less than optimal performance from an SD card from formatting that changes the block size of the device to something that's not a multiple of it native sector size. But that would never happen in a simple FAT32 format. And cards used in our cameras just to record their images don't make use of the "protected area" so I suspect overwriting it might actually increase the usable size of the card slightly. I dunno. If I had a brand new card I'd try it out.

I am fully aware of the wear leveling behavior that occurs on *all* flash memory technology cards. The flash controller also uses ECC (Error Check and Correction) bits to try and verify the validity of the data. Micron controllers can detect 2 bit errors and correct single bit errors. But the best it can do in the case of an error involving more than a single bit is to return a read error and *then* mark that particular block as bad. If the first write to the card is useful data then that data is lost. I'd prefer that the first error that's returned is just formatting data. Maybe overkill on my part but my single instance reformatting on Windows is not going to damage it and may even be useful.

Chuck Norcutt