Re: [OM] Sony A7s flash comment

Subject: Re: [OM] Sony A7s flash comment
From: Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 09:47:24 -0800
The new interface is still not really compatible with older flash units, but
since it supports conventional ISO hotshoes as well, it is compatible with any
3rd party flash units,just not camera controlled auto.  A number of ownwers of
newer A7s etc have been complaining how they spent $400 on a high power system
flash and find all the flash features are not fully supported on their cameras.

I think a lot of the multi-interface is now not really aimed at flash at all,
but other camera functions, in particular microphones for video recording and
GPS etc. and even supplies substantial amounts of power for external
accessories.

Many old Minolta/Sony lenses going back a long way, but not the very earliest A
mount lenses report the focus distance used, so that information can be
included in the flash algorithms in their proprietary flashes. This then
becomes GN based effectively,but you don't have to set the distance. The very
active German Minolta/Sony list, has reverse engineered the older serial
interface to the flashes.

Unfortunately even the older versions of flashes with the new interface don't
work well with the latest A7 etc bodies and Sony needs to release upgraded
versions of their high power systems flashes to properly support the A7 etc.

Their tiny flash  the HVL-F20M is an upgraded version of an older flash and
that does fully support the A7 etc ,but it does  not have all features of a
full system flash apart from being low power.

I do have a HVL-F20M which is really nice for travel as a fill flash which you
can toss in the camera bag, as it is so tiny. It even bounces quite nicely as
the High ISO camera capability of FF means, you don't need as large a GN flash.

When not traveling I mostly use regular flashes in manual mode Metz CT60's, Oly
FL40 (compact on camera and has reasonable range of manual GN or auto Fstop
settings) all work just fine, but normal only low voltage on shoe issues apply.

Tim