[OM] OT: Home Repairs

Subject: [OM] OT: Home Repairs
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 12:02:12 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     My air conditioner was installed 22 years ago, and this is the first time
that I've used the heating function.  It worked fine at first on Sunday, but
during the night it began to malfunction.  The next day it worked fine after I
adjusted the anticipation setting, but then it malfunctioned again during the
night.  It was fun being up on the roof with a flashlight in my mouth and a DVM
in my hand.  Couldn't find anything wrong.

     This morning I tested things again, and still couldn't find anything
amiss.   Then I heard a sound from outside while it was starting up, which led
me to discover that the circuit breaker was intermitent.  I toggled it a couple
of times to reset it and clean the contacts, and everything has been working
fine.  It was failing when it got cold, causing the compressor to partially
stalling out when the condenser blower came on, but then letting the
circulation blower run when the compressor and condenser blower tripped out.

     Then it was off on a treasure hunt to find a replacement circuit breaker.
The older Square D breakers are a bit difficult to find, and the newer ones
will not fit.  I ended up buying one at Grainger's for $30, and I'm going to
buy a few spares by way of evilBay while they're still available.

     A repairman would have charged me $100 or so just for the service call,
and probably would have told me that I need an entirely new distribution panel.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson