Re: [OM] need router help

Subject: Re: [OM] need router help
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2015 06:35:37 -0500
I've never heard of a modem that has a built-in router but I think Chris' diagnosis may well be correct. The modem certainly seems to be acting as a router. Should that be the case and (for whatever reason) you decide you'd like to keep 2 routers I'd suggest you google using 2 routers. You'll find lots of info on-line.

I recently had to do this. In my new house cable, internet and phone enter the house in a junction box installed in the garage. It's expected that most folks will use wireless throughout the house and only run a single network cable to one room in the house. I wanted wired connections in most places so I had 7 network cables running from the garage to various rooms. Problem was there needed to be a router in that garage junction box. I did that by installing an 8-port wired-only router there (after a big argument with the cable company about who owned the single AC power outlet inside their junction box). But I also wanted wireless access for tablets and laptops so had to install a second router in my office to provide the wi-fi.

I did just as I've advised and searched with Google how to use 2 routers together. There are two methods. The simplest way (and what I chose) is using the second router as a simple switch. Instead of running the input line into the router's input port you plug it into one of the outbound ports. Simple as that, the router operates as a simple switch but with wireless capabilities.

The second method is to allow both routers to operate as routers which has security advantages of creating a sort of firewall out of the second router. I don't remember any of the details but if you Google it you'll find plenty of references to tell you how to set it up. The only thing I can recall is changing the IP address of (I think) the second router to a value (I think) higher than the first router would assign. But pay little attention to my ignorant ramblings other than to use Google to help you out.

Chuck Norcutt