Re: [OM] Californians are weather weenies

Subject: Re: [OM] Californians are weather weenies
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2015 10:05:02 -0800
On 1/1/2015 4:45 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
Where does the auto correction take place for both raw and JPEG?

Does the camera do it but only for the JPEG?  Does Oly software do it for raw?
Does ACR do it for raw?

Oh my! It is sorta complicated.

The camera does it for JPEG.

ACR, meaning PS and LR, does it automatically, using lens data from the manufacturer, and that can't be turned off. Same with Oly Viewer, as I recall. So standard conversions match JPEGs You may apply further correction by eye in either ACR or PS.

Uncorrected conversion may be done with DxO, Rawtherapee and ??

There are a couple of alternatives to the precooked corrections:

PTLens has separate corrections for Raw and JPEG The JPEG option is what you use for corrected converter output, too, and adds a smidgen of further correction.

DxO do their own corrections in their labs. One may use those, fine tune them, go uncorrected or use their own add-on corrections for JPEGs.

DxO and PTLens correction data is available for most lenses, but not all. The couple I tried were noticeably better than the canned ones, but only for architectural-ish things. You can check on their web sites or in the apps.

Is that enough options for you?

These visuals may help.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/DXO/LensCorrect.htm>

And <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/DXO/_MG_2371.htm>