Re: [OM] (OT) Field Glasses recommendations

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) Field Glasses recommendations
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2015 14:15:49 -0800
On 1/1/2015 2:47 PM, Bob Whitmire wrote:

Been looking at binocs, and noted these, which have many features Joan really
wants, are neither
waterproof nor fog proof. I think that might be a real disadvantage, even a
deal breaker, for the Outer
Hebrides. For that matter, the coast of Maine. <g> No one seems to have any
glasses that focus that
close. The best I’ve found are some brands—waterproof and fog proof—that focus
down
to five or six feet. Quite a bit of difference.

B.V.M responds:
You've put your finger on the reasons we have both, and are often carrying two
different kinds.

Thought Moose would answer. When you posted I clicked through a bunch of pages of binocs at B&H looking for weather sealed /N2 purged papilio type or closer focusng Pentax 8X25 types---did not find though I did go through quickly. (still took awhile). Seems they do not yet exist as suspected.

Pretty straightforward optical and engineering reasons, as I hope I explained fairly clearly. Related to why I can't find that one camera that meets all my needs and desires. :-D

NABA (No Am B'fly Assoc) has a chart of close focusing binocs--but it is too
out of date.

Assuming one does not go out flutterbying in inclement weather, I think the Papilios are the answer. After all, they (the targets) aren't around in winter, shelter/hide in rain and can't be seen in fog, no? :-)

Bob's  requirements may be more stringent than yours. ;-)

Fluttering Bye Moose