Re: [OM] need router help

Subject: Re: [OM] need router help
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2015 14:31:06 +1030
Cc: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Hi Mike,

Looking at the manuals for the new and old modems, it looks like the
configuration was originally similar to what MRC outlined, as the the
WAN or Internet ports are separated from the LAN/Wireless by the
internal router function.

For the Linksys, Under Advanced Routing, there appears to be a mechanism
to control the NAT. This could be your first port of call?

Without a  look at the router config file it will be hard to figure out
what is going on (send me a copy if you like, but remove any cleartext
passwords if you can). Also need to know what the original LAN IP range
was (maybe from the status page of your printer?).

On Fri, Jan 02, 2015 at 02:19:27PM -0800, Mike Lazzari wrote:
> I don't understand the "bridge" function. Does that mean that I can
> bridge the modem, bypassing its router functions and use the WRT150N to
> do the NAT, etc.?

Yes, this is basically it.

Strictly, a DSL 'modem' (not router) is used provide the phone line
interface, and to break the big frames on the ethernet network into
small frames for the DSL network (Asynchronous Transfer Mode if you want
to look it up). The DSLAM in the exchange reassembles these back into
complete ethernet frames at the other end.

In short, bridging connects two network segments together, but prevents
packets from being forwarded inappropriately (from a network
perspective) - useful if you have limited bandwidth.

A DSL router in bridge mode becomes a modem+bridge, accepting PPPoE from
the user side and sending it out the DSL link as ATM data, and
conversely reassembling incoming ATM data from the DSL side as PPPoE ad
sending out the user side.

davidt