Re: [OM] You know what I miss?

Subject: Re: [OM] You know what I miss?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2015 11:03:50 -0500
Before committing yourself to the FP-1 I think you should download the instruction sheet and see what it requires to actually use it.
<http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/manual/esystem/man_fp1_e.pdf>

First, the only flash supported is the FL-50. I don't know but suspect that this is due to the high voltage charging port on the grip. I think (but do not know) that the FL-50 is the only Oly digital flash with a high voltage connection. Secondly, although you have a TTL cable I suspect it has shoe connections on both ends. The FP-1 already has a hot shoe so requires Bracket Cable FL-CB02 which has a hot shoe connector for the camera but a round, 5-pin connector for the bracket. Finally, if you want to use the shutter button on the grip you will also need the RG-1 remote grip cable which attaches the remote shutter socket on the camera to the base of the grip. And, if you want a grip strap, that's extra although it looks to me like the grip strap from a an OM PBG2 might well fit.

Anyhow, there's a much cheaper way to accomplish this using an ordinary Stroboframe (or clone) flash grip like this <http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/52728-REG/Stroboframe_310_635_Quick_Flip_350_Bracket.html> (caution: you can buy this cheaper from B&H with free shipping than some sellers on ebay). But to do what you want you have to put the flash on the left side. If the flash is on the left you still have full control of the shutter button and other controls on the E-M5 using your right hand. Since you already have a TTL cable you just attach one end to the arm on the Stroboframe and the other end to the hot shoe.

This is very cheap, light weight and also does something the proprietary grips don't do... they allow you to flip the camera to vertical but maintain the proper flash orientation by flipping the arm on the Stroboframe as well... which is why it called the "Quick Flip 350" (note: this is the model you want. The are others for MF cameras)

What you will not get from the Stroboframe (nor pay for) is a high voltage power supply for faster recycling. But maybe you don't need that. But if you do you can certainly find separate HV battery packs and cables in ebay and elsewhere. I have a couple of Quantum clone HV battery packs with HV power cords supplied by Paramount Cords. But not for the E-M5. The HV battery packs (330 volts) are universal but you need cords to fit a specific camera.

Chuck Norcutt