Re: [OM] New Year's Day Images

Subject: Re: [OM] New Year's Day Images
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2015 09:19:40 -0800
On 1/5/2015 2:56 AM, ChrisB wrote:
I do remember.  Perhaps we should do it again . . .

Will anyone remember for next year? ;-)

I like the way those have come out, Moose.  Lichen II strikes me as
particularly nicely detailed and the Flare series is attractive too (n.b.
misspelling of suppress).

Thanks!

I wonder why the spell chucker didn't catch that. That's gotta be the most annoying, time consuming aspect of setting up an album on Zone-10, naming the images, which is the main reason I often don't bother. The other gallery I mostly use, Singapore, is also annoying if done through the web interface, but there is another way to do it all quickly and easily.

Does Reclining have a strange colour and consistency to the image, or is it my
imagination?

Yes. Just fooling around with the prior image, Upright, trying a different look.

Unsubs defeats me, and I have no better name for that well-captured pair of
lights.

UnSub is US TV procedural show talk for Unknown Subject (i.e. unidentified suspect.) Whether our FBI and/or other agencies actually use it, I don't know. I used it as title for the simple reason that I have no idea who those people carefully hiding behind the flora might be.The woman was blatant in hiding, the man more subtle, but I'm sure any real world facial recognition program would be defeated, but on a TV show, it might work. :-)

In attempting to answer your last question, I would guess that smart phones assist the
GPs with other inputs and don’t use the GPS aerials all the time.  Whereas
cameras have no other sensors for positioning.  Sound plausible?

Well ... We spend quite a lot of time out in the 'wilds' when traveling, and I often run a GPS track on my iPhone for hours where there is no cell service. Sure, it uses more battery than without the GPS track app, but not anything like what seems to happen with the cameras. I did get a little recharger battery pack to carry in the camera bag. I believe I've used it once on my phone, when I forgot to turn off the tracking; didn't really need to, but it was running low and I wanted to try the process. I've used it 2-3 times on Carol's phone, not from GPS usage, just not remembering to keep it charged.

This is the third camera I've had with GPS. All have taken what seems to me a long time to find out where they are after being turned on, then run the battery down faster than seems right. This one has the option to leave GPS on when the camera is off and it just checks every so often to see if it has moved. If not for a long time, it turns off.

This one pretends to have found itself more quickly than its predecessors, but then proceeds to record what appears to be garbage for another minute or so before getting it all straight. This was in part a test run, to see how all that stuff works. It is nice to have the location, without the additional fuss of adding it later from a track. But then, I do that ll the time for other cameras.

The phone seems to know where it is all the time, geotagging its own photos, and the tracking app comes right up with a location in a couple of seconds.

Locational Moose