Re: [OM] IMG: Emerald path

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Emerald path
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2015 20:29:45 -0500
A neat shot. What was the role of the polarizer... cutting the reflections from the grass?

Your mention of polarizer reminded me that I don't have polarizers to fit the 4 new m.Zuikos which use 52 and 58mm filters. So I bought a new/old stock 62mm B+W *linear* polarizer for $19 (with free shipping) and then some step-up rings from 52-55 to use the Tamron 55mm *linear* polarizer I used for OM lenses and a 58-62mm ring for the B+W.

We had some discussion here before that linear polarizers should be perfectly usable on mirrorless cameras. As long as meter measurements are coming right off the sensor and focusing is being done with contrast measurements linear should work just fine. I don't know how the E-M1 would work with regular 4/3 lenses because it somehow does phase detection but I don't plan on using an regular 4/3 lenses.

Hoods are going to be problematic with the stepped-up filters but I'll deal with that problem when it arises. Hoods are a problem with polarizers in any case.

Chuck Norcutt