Re: [OM] IMG: Emerald path

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Emerald path
From: Peter Klein <pklein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2015 22:17:04 -0800
Thanks everyone!

Chuck, I've been taking walks the last few days to get my strength back after my hernia surgery. I saw this scene the day before I took it, but had no camera. I noticed that it looked far better through my polarized sunglasses than without them. I think this was because the sun was coming partially at me at a low angle, and the polarizer helped reduce the glare but keep the "sparkle." Luckily, we had 3 sunny afternoons in a row, so I was able to bring my camera the next day at about the same time and get the shot.

I only have linear polarizers, and they work just fine with my E-M5. It's an old 49mm polarizer I bought for the OM system, fit on the camera with a 46-49mm step up ring. No hood, I just used my hand to shade the lens, and then made sure I hadn't cut off a corner.

I know that regular 4/3 lenses work quite well on the E-M1 because I've tried my two such lenses on a friend's E-M1. I think that the issue with linear polarizers and DSLRs is not the phase detect autofocus itself, but the semi-silvered portion of the mirror that lets the metering light through is in itself a partial polarizer, and the interaction between the two throws the meter off. I don't know how the phase detect sensors work, or if they have metering problems of their own.

--Peter