[OM] (OT) Art & Life: Was Finding Vivian Maier

Subject: [OM] (OT) Art & Life: Was Finding Vivian Maier
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 19:53:38 -0500
For selfish reasons had hoped Bob would still dabble in printing and displaying his images if not to the extent he did before. It was clearly a time consuming activity. One had to really see the final results at full scale to appreciate the workmanship as the web images only gave a rough idea. Moose can provide corroboration as to the quality of his prints. I have had the ocassional daydream of 50 years hence of comments during a successor program to Antiques Roadshow after the discovery of a well preserved BW print in a closet.

"Hmmm, this an exquisite print of BW during his prolific mid certified Neantherthal period depicting a wondrous harbor scene at 20 below with sea smoke present. This is highly sought after by the Whitmore collectors. At a well attended auction, would estimate a value $500,000. "

I say this only partly in jest.

Mike

Bob Whitmire
CN wrote:

Excellent point, Chuck!

Now that the arc of my “career” as a landscape photographer marketing pretty
pictures to tourists has come to an end, I can draw a few conclusions.

My efforts were more successful than I had expected, but never achieved the level I thought they were capable of. This is because I entered the fray pretty much ignorant of reality, and harbored unrealistic expectations. Even in my two best years of selling pretty pictures to tourists, I did not earn a living wage. I earned enough to provide a few things that would otherwise have been forgone, and to buy a couple of wheelbarrow loads of equipment—starting with a confiscated OM-2N, and working my way through a Fuji GSW690iii, a couple of 4x5s, an Olympus E-1, a Nikon D3 and a Nikon D800. Oh, and the Fuji X-100s that
remains, now the totality of my kit. <g>

But . . . and this is a huge BUT . . .

I live in one of the most popular vacation areas of the country. Every year we are flooded by the populations of New York, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Vermont and New Hampshire, with more than a smattering of Canadian and other international visitors, and an awfully lot of people from the far flung corners of the US. The particular area where I live has its share of tourists, but the bread-and-butter is summer people, and people who rent cabins, cottages and camps for one-two-three or more weeks a year. These were the people who bought my photos. They were looking specifically for images of this area. Familiar landmarks drew them, and drew their wallets out of their
pockets.

When I tried to step outside the bounds of my particular area—in essence the Pemaquid peninsula—I did not fare so well. I spent much time in Acadia National Park and obtained more than a few striking images there. With a few exceptions, they did not sell well—hardly at all—in my local venues. And, even though my focus was images tourists would like on their walls, occasionally I wandered into the more esoteric dimensions that define, oh, the term “fine art” comes to mind. Again with a few exceptions, these images fell flat. They simply didn’t
sell.

In order to raise my game to a level where the fine art stuff would have found its market, I would have to have gone full-immersion, which would have included spending inordinate amounts of time, energy and money schlepping my work from gallery to gallery to gallery to big-name, big-name and big-name. It is/was a game I decided was not worth the playing. I like my life. I love my wife and my children (and Herself, the little Persian jumping pistachio) and the time I have to sit and ponder, to read and study whatever comes to mind and grabs my attention. Okay, a lot of that is detective fiction, but I take refuge in the fact that detective fiction is where all the really cool people hang out when they’re not engaged in whatever it is really cool people engage in. (I don’t mean pop-culture celebrities. I mean cool people of discerning taste and intellect and most importantly, humor—one reason I never will part with my “I
Agree With AG” t-shirt.)

For all intents and purposes, it is impossible to achieve real success in the arts these days unless you are willing to sacrifice your life. A writing teacher at the University of Miami, which whom I had a stimulating conversation New Year’s Eve, brought to my attention a quote by Yeats: “The intellect of man is forced to choose/Perfection of the life, or of the work.” Many chose to try for the work, and the vast majority fall short. Life isn’t that much easier, but it is achievable if you’re willing to make a rather small sacrifice of ego. I think it was Buckminster Fuller who once said that fame, fortune, prizes, awards, accolades and adulation were “booby prizes.” The real achievement, he said, was a good life. Or, to borrow from the song by eden abhez, “The greatest
thing you’ll ever learn/Is just to love and be loved in return.”

I also learned something else: Enjoy the process. Don’t worry so much about the product. One aspect of my production sold well, for the reasons outlined above. Others did not. But I still enjoyed, and intend to continue to enjoy the
process. That’s where the magic is. The product is just an artifact.

Sorry for the meander . . .

--
PS: the OM List Language Constabulary is cordially invited to assess my use of
tenses in the above and advise me where I have fallen short. <g>