Re: [OM] E-500/510/520 TIFF Raw Format

Subject: Re: [OM] E-500/510/520 TIFF Raw Format
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 08:39:42 -0500
If it was only Olympus or some other small and struggling company I would be concerned. I just checked to see what was actually available today from Olympus for the E-1. The Olympus studio/viewer software released with the E-1 is only available for XP. But Viewer 3 is available for Win XP through Win7 and Mac OS X 10.4.11 or greater and is also being maintained. I just downloaded the latest version which war released in September 2014. If it runs on Win7 I assume it will run on Win 8 and later.

But any Oly (or other) raw files you have today can be easily converted to DNG files using the free Adobe DNG converter. DNG is an open standard and, even if Adobe should fold, there will be someone around to pick it up.

I have thousands of uncoverted Minolta, Canon and Olympus raw files. I'm not in the least concerned that they won't be usable in the future. At least during my lifetime.

Chuck Norcutt