Re: [OM] E-500/510/520 TIFF Raw Format

Subject: Re: [OM] E-500/510/520 TIFF Raw Format
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 09:04:07 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>Unfortunately, the TIFF format you see listed there is not a raw file.
>It's nothing but an ordinary TIFF file holding 24 bits/pixel image data.

     Which means that each pixel has 8-bit resolution for all three primary
colours.  That's as basic as you can get.

>  There's no more data there than in a JPEG except for the compression.
>  The Olympus format allows you to control the compression ratio on JPEGs so
>you could likely do as well using a low compression ratio JPEG and at much
>less space.

     In Corel PhotoPaint I can control the degree of compressions when I use
the "Save As" option.

>Bite the bullet and use raw with post processing for the best results.
>The raw format says that it's not compressed but it has to have some sort of
>compression to fit into the 13.6 MB raw file.

     Which means that the 24M TIFF format has more image information than the
proprietary OM format, so I can conserve memory by just using the 24M TIFF
format and distill it later to my liking.  That sounds like a much more robust
format as I can import it into just about any graphics editing software such as
Corel PhotoPaint, which I use extensively, or a photography editor such as GIMP
or DXO FilmPack, which I've adopted for colour to B&W conversion.  I'm going to
have to experiment with this to see if it will improve image resolution.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson