Re: [OM] OT: The Evil of Computers

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: The Evil of Computers
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 07:11:36 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>Chris,
>what is scary is you surfing with an ancient, no more supported, full of
>security holes operating system. Sooner or
>later you will catch something unpleasant, if you haven't already.
>
>I was able to have running some very old programs like Mathcad Explorer 8
>on Win7, through clever installation or setting appropriate compatibily
>mode. The only program I wasn't able to install natively on Win7 was
>installed on WinXP mode under Win7 (feature offered by Win7 Pro).
>
>You should try to move all your programs on Win7, either by re-installing
>or replacing them, I'm sure you'll find
>some new freeware stuff that will suit you. Keep in mind that you won't be
>able to install a new laptop with an old
>OS, so when your current laptop will die you're toast. In the end you'll
>save time.

     I tried repeatedly to install essential engineering CAD/CAE software on
Win7 with no success.  It won't even allow me to install MicroSim8, which is an
absolute must for me as it is my analogue network analysis software.  I was
able to install AutoCAD 2000, but it blows up.  Same with Pagemaker6.5.  That
brings my engineering design and writing to a complete halt.

     I cannot afford to go out and purchase replacements for these, so I need
to keep WinXP as my primary operating system.  All of this software runs fine
on Win98/SE and WinXP, as does the DOS version of OrCAD.  Don't even think of
trying to run DOS software on Win7.

     I'm at the coffee shop now, updating all of the software and plugins for
Win7 so that I can ensure that I will have unimpeded internet access.   I've
been here for over an hour, having updated everything that I feel is essential.
 Updating Java was a lot of fun.  NOT!

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson