Re: [OM] IMGs: Desert Botanical Garden

Subject: Re: [OM] IMGs: Desert Botanical Garden
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 16:33:17 -0800
On 1/14/2015 7:43 AM, Chris Trask wrote:
      Yesterday was free entry day at the Phoenix Desert Botanical Garden, so I
ventured there to give my newly acquired Samyang 28-200mm lens a workout.  Very
few of the plants were in flower, but there were a couple of interesting
specimens.

      We normally think of aloes as being short plants with thick, narrow
leaves and flowers at the end of long stalks.  This one, however, a Quiver Tree
(Aloe dichotoma), native to Namibia and South Africa, is in the form of a small
tree:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/16093371879/

This is simply out of focus quite badly. at 100%, I at first thought it was camera movement. But while the tree is fuzzy and the labels seem almost multi imaged, the wire fence in the background doesn't have those artifacts. On further observation, I conclude that focus was missed by many feet, behind the subject. The OOF qualities of this lens aren't attractive.

and was in full bloom:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/16091955108/

This one is properly focused, although the quality of the focus isn't impressive. If this camera is sharp and clear with other lenses, this one may not be a keeper.