Re: [OM] Fort Wayne "Welcome Downtown"

Subject: Re: [OM] Fort Wayne "Welcome Downtown"
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2015 16:01:28 -0500
The arch-like shape formed by the bridge reminded me of this arch in my own "home town" that I recently left to come to South Carolina. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endicott_Square_Deal_Arch#mediaviewer/File:Endicott-Johnson_Workers_Arch,_Approximately_250%27_east_of_intersection_of_Bridge_,_Endicott_%28Broome_County,_New_York%29.jpg>

This one is in Endicott, NY. There's another one like it in the adjacent town of Johnson City. Very brief story here <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endicott_Square_Deal_Arch>

The workers loved the boss who was a very paternal employer. But much too paternal. The Endicott-Johnson Shoe Company has long been out of business... unable to compete with southern US shoe companies in the 1950s and later, like all US shoe companies, unable to compete with China and the rest of the low labor cost world.

Chuck Norcutt