Re: [OM] OT: Recent debate on crop v FF - Mosse

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Recent debate on crop v FF - Mosse
From: "philippe.amard" <philippe.amard@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2015 22:09:59 +0100
Le 18 janv. 15 à 21:08, Moose a écrit :

On 1/17/2015 9:38 AM, Philippe wrote:
1600 for I wanted RAW, and it is the ISO limit of both bodies in RAW I think)

What? That can't be right.

I don't know the details but above a certain value, the ISOs are obtained digitally v analog - is it you who had an L1? JPEGs and RAWs don't have the same ISO highest values either. Newer sensors use tricks ;-)

 The D700 is 5.5 years older than the X-T1,

Perhaps a little less as the sensor was already in the XE-2

So you are not just comparing FF to APS-C, but old vs. new tech. (I also have an old, 12 MP FF camera, Canon 5D, but the new stuff whups it on detail.)

Agreed, but the debate was between a D700 user (not me) and XT-1 (some former) owners.

I'm not sure why more people don't use the wonderful comparison facilities in the dpreview tests.

/ Snip/

So I downloaded the Raw files, ran 'em through ACR*, stacked 'em and did some processing and comparing. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/X-T1_E-M1_D700/FON.htm >

Nice job :-)

They don't seem to say any more, but they used to use the best prime lenses available for each camera, stopped down short of diffraction. On a flat target, that should nail it.

Yup, I shot at 1.4 because one of the points that was debated was the DoF - Dpreview doesn't here.

I know this started out as FF vs. APS-C, but that ship has, for now, sailed. The D750 resolves a great deal more fine detail than the smaller sensor cameras - no contest.

At 3 x the price tag for a difference that doesn't strike the viewer on screen most of the time - of course if we start cropping ... ;-)

/ snip/

Thanks for the post. I've been wondering about all the Fuji X love here, what with the larger sensor, but it appears I needn't, other than ergonomics and camera esthetics.

Sure. However, I didn't buy the XE-1, nor the X-T1; Alice thought I needed lighter gear and proceeded ... but I'm enjoying experimenting with them a lot And were it not for the weight and bulk, I'd still be carrying the D700 or one of its successors ...

Thank you in any case for your informed review and enlightening opinion.

Amities
Philippe

One sees clearly only with the heart. What is essential is invisible to the eye. Antoine de Saint Exupéry in Le Petit Prince.
NO ARCHIVE