Re: [OM] OT - Firewall problems with new Win 8.1 box (long)

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - Firewall problems with new Win 8.1 box (long)
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 19:16:31 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>Options seem to be:
>1) disable McAfee (I cannot find any settings to change, though it's
>apparently managing the Windows firewall)
>2) temporarily use just the Windows firewall (no virus protection)
>3) install Norton (I believe I can piggy back on my existing licence).
>
>What am I missing? Grateful for any advice or guidance from the computer
>literate on the list.

     If you do install Norton, make certain that McAfee is fully disabled or
better yet uninstalled.  My desktop computer was given to me years ago because
the owners could not keep it running as malware would come screaming through.
Turned out they had McAfee and Norton running simultaneously, the result being
that they shut each other off.  I uninstalled both of those and installed AVG.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson