Re: [OM] OT - Firewall problems with new Win 8.1 box (long)

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - Firewall problems with new Win 8.1 box (long)
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 17:53:26 -0500
I second the Moose on all points. Norton and McAfee have long been banned from my machines for the reasons given and I went to AVG instead. It didn't take long for me to abandon AVG as well. I discovered that it had some strange AI-like algorithms that essentially said: This looks kinda like a virus so we'll quarantine it. Turns out they were quarantining Windows system files... without telling me. I was amazed that Windows had not failed since AVG had quarantined 60 files before I discovered it. I ran all of them through several other AV apps and none found anything wrong.

I finally concluded that no one has more skin in the game regarding Windows security than Microsoft. So I too went with the Microsoft tools below but also use the Windows firewall instead of ZoneAlarm. Maybe I should run Zone Alarm instead but don't know why. I also occasionally run Malware Bytes which mostly just finds junk like advertising cookies.

But for security today you are mostly dependent on your browser since most infections today enter the browser through entering an infected site or clicking on some infected link. There I don't depend on Microsoft simply because IE is on 90% of computers and has a big red target painted on its back. Even if Microsoft is doing a good job most of the bad guys in the world are trying to find a way in.

As to Chrome and ads... well, it's free and ads are how Google pays its bills.

As to why you're having all the trouble you are I just don't know. But I'd throw out the stuff you have and go with Microsoft stuff. I suspect your problems will go away.

Chuck Norcutt