Re: [OM] OT - Firewall problems with new Win 8.1 box (long)

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - Firewall problems with new Win 8.1 box (long)
From: WayneS <olympus@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 19:22:31 -0500
At 1/20/2015 07:41 PM, Martin Walters wrote:

>The principal irritant is that every time I click on a site using the https
>protocol, I get a message that " You have asked Firefox to connect securely to
>xxx.com, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure. Normally, when
>you try to connect securely, sites will present trusted identification to
>prove that you are going to the right place. However, this site's identity
>can't be verified.the connection is untrusted and the certificate." I get
>similar messages from IE stating that "The security certificate presented by
>this website was not issued by a trusted certificate authority."  Clearly, the
>issue is browser independent.

Just a suggestion. Some anti-virus programs in order to monitor web traffic for
malicious content, will subvert you ssl connection. That is, the anti-virus
will present to the browser it's own certificate, so it can decrypt the
traffic, and use a second certificate to connect to the site. It's possible the
browser is catching the deception.

Take a look at https://www.grc.com/default.htm for more information under HTTPS
Interception Detection.

For what its worth, I have Kaspersky, which has this feature (although you can
disable it) but have not seen the problem. I also have ad block plus, ghostery,
and noscript plugins. Noscript I disable most of its features though.

Wayne