Re: [OM] OT Fuji Panorama question and no X-T1 for my holidays

Subject: Re: [OM] OT Fuji Panorama question and no X-T1 for my holidays
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 10:13:13 -0500
I just read the X-T1 owner's manual on the subject of panoramas and decided that it's not possible to answer your question from the manual alone. The manual specifically mentions viewing horizontal and vertical panoramas in playback mode but that has to do with the direction of the pano and not the orientation of the camera.

The manual describes the making of a pano as
1) set to pano mode
2) set the angle covered by each shot
3) choose a direction to move the camera

That implies that you must have a choice of 4 directions to produce either a vertical or horizontal pano but what it does not say is that those choices exist if the camera is held in portrait orientation. I thought perhaps you could make the direction choice in landscape orientation and then rotate to portrait but even that might not work. The camera will terminate the pano if it detects what it thinks is motion not relevant to requested pano. "Panning the camera in a direction other than that shown cancels shooting."

I'll rate the probability that it will do it at 90%... simply because it should. On the other hand, the manual gives absolutely no guidance on the subject and only illustrates landscape orientation.

Chuck Norcutt