[OM] OT 16 bit Windoze [was OT: Batch Files]

Subject: [OM] OT 16 bit Windoze [was OT: Batch Files]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 11:48:04 -0800
On 1/30/2015 7:02 AM, Chris Trask wrote:
     One of the disappointments I've experienced in the post-Win98 world

This reminds me of your laments about running older, 16 bit programs. I may have mentioned before the virtual WinXP feature of Win7Pro.

I've now been asked to make changes to a system I developed over 25 years ago. Although the compiled .exe programs are 32 bit and run fine under current Windoze, the development environment is 16 bit. Sounds like the kind of problem you have complained about before. It won't run under Win7, even with its various compatibility modes and my client has upgraded to Win7.

I've now set up a WinXP virtual machine and installed a couple of versions of the development programs under it. So far, they work exactly as before Vista (although much faster than on my old XP system and its predecessors. Wheeeee!)

I've not yet tried printing or other outside communications, nor do I expect to need to do so for this project. My system does print, but that's the compiled .exe, which runs fine directly under Win7.

WinXP is no longer supported for security updates by MS, so I suppose the wise thing is to disconnect from the internet when running the virtual machine. OTOH, the way it works, I think an XP infection can't affect the Win7 under which it runs rather isolated.

Fewer Bits Moose