Re: [OM] OT 16 bit Windoze [was OT: Batch Files]

Subject: Re: [OM] OT 16 bit Windoze [was OT: Batch Files]
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2015 08:38:05 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>>I googled 'running batch files in windows 7', and got a few answers the
>>second looked good and had these links. The first looks to be a general
>>tutorial on running batch files under Windows. The second and third are
>>for a new command that debuted in Win7 'START', perhaps that's the
>>culprit, batch files were mucked with for Win7.
>>
>>  http://www.computerhope.com/batch.htm
>>http://www.computerhope.com/starthlp.htm
>>http://ss64.com/nt/start.html
>>

>     Those are very useful as they provide information about all of the
> various conditioning
>that can be applied to the START command.
>
>     I think I may know what is happening.  Neither of the programs that I'm
> trying to launch
>are supposed to terminate.  The first one runs in background, and the second
>one is the
>browser.  So, the BAT file just sits there waiting for the first one to
>terminate, which will
>not happen.
>
>     Reading the comments about the START command makes me wonder if the two
> programs should
>be started in separate BAT files with the root BAT file invoking them in turn.
> That's
>ridiculous.

     I modified the original BAT file so that it calls another BAT file to
start the first program and then display a short message to state that that
task is completed.  Because that first program is running in background and
does not terminate, the second BAT file never proceeds beyond launching that
first program.  So, what's needed is a switch somewhere that tells the original
BAT file to just launch the first program and move on to the next instruction.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson