Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 31/1/2015: the human face of the crisis

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 31/1/2015: the human face of the crisis
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2015 12:12:13 -0500
I’m a fan of Halifax Bank in the UK, which, I believe, is the bank of Scotland.
First encountered them in London in 2006, when a British bank’s ATM machine
wouldn’t take our debit card, but Halifax did, and neither Halifax nor our bank
charged us a fee for the transaction.

On our trip to Scotland in 2013, we used Halifax again, with no trouble and no
fees. The only issue we ran into was trying to change USDs in the Halifax Bank
in the village of Killin. The very nice woman behind the counter told us they
didn’t exchange currency. We would have to go to the fudge shop in Callendar
for that. In our defense, we did wait until we were outside on the sidewalk
before bursting into laughter. We finally got the dollars changed in a Post
Office in Portree, on the Isle of Skye, whereupon we learned the fudge shop in
Callendar likely was a Post Office as well.

At Tobermory, on the Isle of Mull, the Royal Clydesdale bank ATM also gave us
cash with no fees. (Halifax ATM was out of order.)

I am partial to Scottish banks, while realizing banks in general are
quintessential paradigms of capitalist greed and avarice without which we
cannot function. “A pox on all their houses,” I say, cognizant of the fact that
a little hypocrisy is necessary for a sane and comfortable life.

--Bob Whitmire
Certified Neanderthal