[OM] Groundhog day [was Snow, Feb. 2]

Subject: [OM] Groundhog day [was Snow, Feb. 2]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2015 12:33:10 -0800
On 2/2/2015 11:25 AM, Bob Whitmire wrote:
Two variations of the same image taken from the upstairs deck. Black & White
conversion info with the images. Temp in Round Pond was 3º F. Wind roughly 20-30
mph, expected to increase through the afternoon.

Nicely done shot! But surely that's good news? The groundhog will certainly not
have seen his or her shadow!

Out here on the Left Coast, were there any local groundhogs, they certainly would have seen their shadows. Spring has seriously sprung. The magnolia across the street has about a gazillion blossoms, and enough buds to at least double that.

The sun is now high enough to sit in it in the front garden, reading and dozing, as I have done this week. The showy yellow flowers, the name of which I forget, are in full bloom, with their red cousins about to do so; the eternal yellow snapdragon is blooming again/still, as is the fuchsia. The first of the gazillion buds on the Star Jasmine are opening, the Bearded Iris leaves are starting out of the ground in droves. At least I can put off cutting down the Japanese Plum in the back for a last year of blossoms. Well, you get the picture. :-)

OTOH, we could use six weeks of actual winter, you know, like with some rain, and snow in the mountains. After a promising start of rain, this winter has become another extended meditation on Fall becoming Spring. Lovely to live, but we don't want to dry up and blow away after August.

We don't have Groundhogs out here, but do have their close relatives, Yellow-bellied Marmots, up in the high Sierra. Perhaps one will wake up from their hibernation today, poke its nose out and convince the Weather Gods to send a lot more snow, so it can sleep 'til at least July.

Except for the first weekend of March, when Mike and Marnie will be out here, and good weather for the visitors would be only polite. :-)

Last time we had visitors from Maine here in March, it rained on them (and us). Maybe you guys could come out and bring some actual weather with you? =-O

Sunny Dry Moose