Re: [OM] IMG: Our 25th Anniversary

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Our 25th Anniversary
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2015 20:07:19 -0800
On 2/7/2015 4:20 PM, Scott Gomez wrote:
As did I, Rick. And I can remember all too many January days (sometimes the
whole dang month) where the temperature in the morning for the walk to
school was at or near -26F/-32C

We didn't have that sort of weather. When I was young, we only had one car, which Dad took to work. So we walked to school, rain or shine. I loved rainy days. I had one of those yellow slickers with the inverted bucket hat, with visor, that went down to my shoulders and great rain boots. Lots of fun with puddles.

I so see relatively young children walking to and from the elementary schools
here, although many with accompanying adults.

And, as you mention, most of us survived the Dumb Shit Kids Do stage of
life--only then no one thought it was in any way remarkable.

I wonder if making people so much safer over the last few decades is why
most of them seem to have pudding for brains in evaluating risk as adults.
Not having learned how to handle the smaller risks when a child or teenager
maybe means one doesn't ever really develop the ability well at all.

I remember discussion/arguments with other parents when my kids were young. I contended, as you do, that learning to assess risk when the consequences were relatively minor was necessary to developing life skills - and far preferable to learning later when the consequences could be major.

Mostly they didn't agree with me. As my kids are 33 and 43, this was a while
ago. ...

Young Thrills and Spills Moose