Re: [OM] E-M5 II announced

Subject: Re: [OM] E-M5 II announced
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2015 22:01:14 -0800
Just a couple other things.  I think I mentioned that the Flash sync speed with EFC is
1/20 sec and "not recommended."  Hmmm, what's with that?

Pretty useless; perhaps that's why not recommended? If the shutter doesn't shock, flash with mechanical shutter should be good. After all, the sync speed is just the highest at which the shutter is entirely open, not the exposure speed. For primarily flash exposures, the exposure is very short, and should make shock irrelevant, even if there is some.

The shutter seems quiet but AG is the list shutter acoustic expert.  Hard to
tell w/o known cam for comparison--very quiet has shown excellent correlation
with reduced shutter shock.
Have not seen much mention of any formal testing though.  Shutter sound is in
one review:

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/olympus-om-d-e-m5-ii-hands-on-review-26883

I never know what to make of those things. Seems quietish, but what does that mean? Shutter shock seems to have been tamed in E-M1 and E-P5, so shouldn't be an issue.

Also one of the Russian converter writers has has looked at the high res raw
files--not really 8 lower res raw files but preprocessed and appears as a Raw
file for a 64MP Bayer image--perhaps to make it easier for other converters.

That makes no sense, if others are correct that a special plug-in will be required for ACR/LR. It also makes no sense to recreate a Bayer array when one has eliminated its drawbacks. The evidence of the JPEGs in IR's review is that all the Bayer problems are eliminated. Why would they recreate them for the HD Raw file?

Not at all sure what is going on there but the raw data is on a "rectangular grid" while
the original was on a "diagonal grid".  Oh, and the hi res files are not compressed at
all.

Perhaps Moose has been able to compare absolute IQ to GX-7--perhaps not much
different.

Not as yet. And I see no point in comparing a GX7 file to the M5 II HD mode.

Wonder if Where's Mine Moose will preorder?

You have used the incorrect tense. :-)

Oops! Moose