Re: [OM] E-M5 II announced

Subject: Re: [OM] E-M5 II announced
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2015 21:28:27 -0800
On 2/8/2015 5:28 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
Oops! You're right, I forgot that the ambient exposure in fill flash is the significant exposure and occurs right in the middle of shutter shock land. Is the shutter-shock delay setting no longer available on the E-M5 Mk II?

The manual implies that is the case, but I'm not sure.

The E-M1 manual, ver. 2, says that under the Anti-Shock settings, a zero sec. setting has been added to the 1/8 and up settings. It doesn't mention EFC, saying simply "elect [0 sec] to reduce the slight blur caused by the shutter. " We know from reviews that it is EFC.

The M5 II has two separate settings, Anti-Shock and Silent. Anti-Shock says "To prevent camera shake caused by the small vibrations that occur during shutter operations, shooting is performed using an electronic front-curtain shutter." and later "Use this mode to suppress small vibrations caused by the operation of the shutter, but doesn't distinguish between 'zero sec.' and other delay times." But it also says "Sets the time period between the shutter button being pressed all the way down and the shutter release when shooting in anti-shock mode" and mentions the default setting of 0 sec. in the menu table.

My guess is that EFC is only used when Anti-Shock is set to zero, but I really don't know. Perhaps one of the reviewers says something about it, but I'm not going through all those again just now.

As you have a brand new E-M1, much prefer its ergonomics to the E-M5, and the M5 body is little changed in grip, I'd guess you have time to find out at leisure. ;-)

If B&H's estimate of availability is accurate, I may be able to tell you at
about the time Mike gets to handle one. :-)

Moose, EFC