Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 8: town and country

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 8: town and country
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 13:08:56 -0000
I can agree that IR can give some particularly appealing results, although I
think I know what Chris means - an overabundance of "white" foliage can be too
much. On the other hand, IR rendition of clouds against a blue sky can be
stupendously effective.

I can expand on the grammar too (wow, who would have guessed) and agree that
your use of word order was no coincidence, Nathan, but not for the reasons that
Chris suggested. Yes, Polish preserves the complexity of Latin that has
disappeared from most European languages - but it is precisely the loss of that
complexity which makes the order of words so important in English (and likely
not in Polish, certainly not in Russian which has the same complexity). When
the distinction between subject and object (not just who/whom as noted already,
but "Man bites dog", for instance) is not obvious from the word form, we depend
on the word position in the sentence. And not paying attention to word order is
the start of mutual incomprehension.

Piers

PS And thanks for the tour around Alicante, Nathan. As always, your eye for the
streetscape is admirable.