Re: [OM] E-1 E-3 Skintone Tests

Subject: Re: [OM] E-1 E-3 Skintone Tests
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2015 15:28:13 -0600
> I guess I should charge up the E-1 and try it again on some daylight
> stuff. However, unlike before when I shot jpeg exclusively and really wish
> I had raw files to play with now) I'll shoot everything RAW.  It's just so
> heavy after carrying the E-M5 for a little over 2 years now.,..

The E-1 RAW files are extremely bendable. Frankly, there are only two
problems with the camera. Not enough pixels, and not clean enough at
higher ISOs. Everything else is either acceptable or actually
superior.

What I am excited for is to be able to do panoramic stitches now.
Adobe CC and E-1 files are a very good match. I can do stuff with the
E-1 files that I never could before. And being able to do four or five
frames for a stitch takes care of the pixel count.

As to using the E-1 for indoor, high-ISO stuff, that train done left
the building without even stopping. While I am not like Moose in the
anti-noise thing, I find that the E-1 is not really good for that, so
why bother. The E-3 is definitely better in this regard and the latest
16mp sensor in the OMD series is worlds better.

As I've said before, many times, the E-1 captures violets and some
reds better than anything else I've seen. And it handles skintones so
effortlessly, so you don't have to mangle the image to get good
skintones and destroy everything else in order to do it. By screwing
around with the hue and saturation, I was able to get the E-3 to match
the skin, but it trashed the rest of the image.

Back to the noise issue. The latest/greatest version of Lightroom
really does handle E-1 files very well and the noise is easily
addressable.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx