Re: [OM] E-M5 II HD IQ [was Olympus Viewer 3 for E-M5 Mark II]

Subject: Re: [OM] E-M5 II HD IQ [was Olympus Viewer 3 for E-M5 Mark II]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 14:15:53 -0800
Anticipatory Moose writes:
<<Da rush is the HD ORF samples out there on the web, and a chance to start to
understand how the files work in post before I have my own.

An interesting and very well done analysis. Weird thaqt the high res plug in
made it before the normal raw file processing ability enabled--can't be too far
behind.

The plug-in is a separate piece of software, not fully integrated into ACR. Likely has Oly colors, rather than Adobe's more standardized look? In any case, the normal rez will appear in the next standard ACR update.

At higher ISO the larger sensor high res cams may pull ahead in many respects,
but we'll see .

I suspect that a D800 with just slightly stronger AA filter would do it, but
can't be sure.

As long as the E-M5 Mk11 arrives before our visit,  it fine. ;-)

Hmmm, not as likely as I had hoped. Although the web site still said 2/27 this morning, a call to see about going to faster sipping would help elicited a latest estimate from Oly of 3/6. Only $15 to go to two day air, so I did that just in case.

Big temptation is the 75/1.8 @ $200 off list in a bundle. It's like every single review, pro or user just loves it*. I don't recall ever seeing such user review profiles. I've been doing some stuff in the dim, getting some results out of the 45/1.8 and wishing for longer.

Seems OlyAmerica is messing with dealers again, for their own benefit. They list the camera as in stock now. So I could get camera and lens for the same price sooner, but with an additional $162 in sales tax B&H doesn't collect.

How about a high res mode, focus stacked, HDR, multi row pano landscape? Might
require its own HD. Zerene stacker seem especially good at these because of the
ease of retouching shots with any motion within the software.

That sounds like so much work! ;-)   How could we possibly display it to get
the advantage?

There is an app for spacing the shots of course.

http://www.georgedouvos.com/douvos/Focus_Stacking_in_Landscape_and_Architectural_Photography.html

Well, a promo piece by the developer, so a bit of salt may be necessary. The only reviews on the App store are three big negatives because they want to do macro, for which it is neither intended nor useable.

BTW, am bringing some  tri-x for the trip--haven't used it in ages.  Hope it
isn't a mistake.

Anticipatory Mike

Maybe Retro Mike? :-)

Antsy Moose

* OK, one complaint about poor continuous AF, who didn't know if it is camera
or lens.