Re: [OM] Spotmeters

Subject: Re: [OM] Spotmeters
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 16:30:13 -0800
On 2/23/2015 8:53 AM, Chris Trask wrote:
Yes, experienced all that and at that time came to the very disappointing realisation that digital B&W is only possible when not using glass filters.

As I said earlier today, you are wrong. I'm not sure what you are doing wrong.

We got some clouds today, so I went out, set up a tripod and took pics with and
without a filter.

I imagine I have some color filters for B&W film, but mostly don't know where. I did find a lovely old Rollei-orange bayonet mount filter for a RolleiCord, which happened to sit nicely on one of my lenses.

I left WB at daylight, and let the AE set the exposures. Desaturation of the filtered one made it pretty dark. I used Levels to bring it back up. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Rollei-Orange/OrangeFilter.htm>

It seems obvious that the blues are darker in the sky and the foliage has very different tonal distribution in the one done with orange filter. I tossed in a PS strong red filter conversion, uh, just 'cause.

This is a pretty simple test, and clearly shows the glass filter changing the B&W conversion, compared to the shot without filter.

BTW, it looks like I would get the same result working with the JPEGs. Am I missing something? Are you missing something? If you are getting different results, something in your camera settings or post exposure work flow is wrong.

Do you have Auto WB set on your camera? That plus using JPEGs or camera TIFFs
could mess it up.

If you are thinking back to using non panchromatic B&W film long ago, the effects will be different with any digital camera, even the B&W Leica, as color is panchromatic.

All that said, I can't see the point of using glass filters other than
polarizer, ND and 81A or C for high altitude.

Color Me Puzzled Moose

Fortunately, I can across FilterSim and DXO FilmPack and can pretty much do what I had desired from the start, just not in the manner that I became used to with film. However, I can correct for colour temperature with 81 and 82 series Wratten filters instead of changing the internal colour temperature setting, which suits me fine. The plus side is that I only need to take a small set of ND, 81, and 82 glass filters with me. This reminds me that I need to return to becoming familiar with GIMP and see if it will accommodate the PS7 Wratten filter actions. Chris When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Hunter S. Thompson