Re: [OM] Spotmeters

Subject: Re: [OM] Spotmeters
From: "Ian Manners" <void@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 23:39:53 +0800 (WST)
Hi Chris,

> >Chris, you are mistaken in believing that TIF output from E-500 (or any
> >other camera) is a raw file.

>      Which is why I'm going to do the comparison as post-processing TIF
files can be done with any graphics software, whereas ORF (Olympus RAW
Format) cannot.  The remark about RAW files being unprocessed is right in
the E-500 manual on page 180, E-510 manual on pages 45 and 109, and in
the E-520 manual on page 135.

Yes, ORF is an Olympus Raw Format file but TIF is not a raw file
format, it is a graphics file that has been processed from the raw
output of the sensor, where as the ORF file (is in a generalised
manner), a screen capture of the actual sensor output with no
processing applied.

All the photos I take are kept as ORF files as these contain
the maximum amount of image information, they are after all,
raw files.

A TIF formatted file lacks all the detail of a raw file, as does
a JPG format file, though a TIF file 'can' be a better quality
data file than a JPG file.

TIF and JPG, PNG, and many other file formats are
Graphics file formats, ORF is basically a data output file
that requires another program to turn it into a graphics
file.

Cheers
Ian Manners
Of nowhere in particular.