Re: [OM] Spotmeters

Subject: Re: [OM] Spotmeters
From: "Ian Manners" <void@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 02:37:55 +0800 (WST)
Hi Chris,

> >Yes, ORF is an Olympus Raw Format file but TIF is not a raw file

> I'm going to again disagree here.  In the E-500, an ORF file is 13.6M,
whereas a TIFF file is 24M.  Since the sensor
> itself has approximately 8MP and 3 bytes/pixel (or 1 byte/colour/pixel or 24
bits/pixel), the dead-nuts raw data from the
> sensor is  approximately 24M, the same size as the TIFF file.  That being
the case, I'm making a safe assumption that the
> TIFF format is the ultimate RAW format (no compression and hopefully no
processing), whereas the ORF file is slightly
> compressed (but no processing).

Sensor size is irrelevent to TIF file size, a TIF file has extra
information in it such as compression (yes, a TIF file can still
be compressed), color depth, bit size etc, this all add's to the
size of the file even if some of the header and data bits are
unused.

A 14 bit TIF file will simply pad out the unused data if it
is a conversion from a 8 bit input stream. A TIF file has
been processed by the camera's CPU from the RAW
image, it is up to you to set in the menu if you wish to
keep that raw image as a file, or discard it from memory
once it has been processed and converted to a TIF or
JPG file.

Note that JPG also has a lossless 'compressed' format,
just as a TIF file can also have a lossless 'compressed' format
but as TIF has an old and established usage in the
publishing industry, lossless uncompressed is normally
the default mode, so it is always bigger in file size due
to bit padding for backwards compatibility.

My experience with experimenting with the E500 was
that I could pull out a lot more detail from shadows or
highlights with raw files over tif files (ditto with the E300),
I had to do a lot of experimenting when digitising box's
of kodachrome etc with the slide attachment and a T32.

A raw file is just that, raw, so it has no extra information in it,
some may have the manufacters information as a header,
ie, something that states were it came from (sensor make
and model).

But in saying all the above, use what suits you !

With my E450 I only take jpg's, with the E-M5 I
take both jpg and raw, the E1 is raw only.

Cheers
Ian Manners
Of nowhere in particular.