[OM] Monochrome Experiments

Subject: [OM] Monochrome Experiments
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 13:56:02 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     I just finished a preliminary experiment with the E-500, taking TIFF
colour plus TIFF and ORF B&W photos of the Clauss & Meusel (C&M) test star.  I
then took a series of TIFF B&W photos of the test star using red (W25), orange
(W15), yellow (W9), and green (W11) glass Wratten filters.  I then did
comparisons in the Olympus software to keep everything kosher.

     The first thing I noticed was that there is virtually no difference
between the TIFF and ORF B&W photos, so I feel safe to say that since the ORF
image has not been subjected to any modifications (as stated in the manual),
then neither has the TIFF image, which is of great relief as I can now feel
comfortable using the TIFF format for B&W photos.  However, they do differ from
the non-filtered C&F image(s), and it appears that they were using a film stock
similar to Kodak Tri-X 400 (or an Agfa equivalent) for their illustrations, and
the E-500 B&W images may be rendered flat with no saturation prejudices.

     The TIFF images using glass Wratten filters now show notiecable
differences in colour saturation, whereas the JPEG ones that I had done last
year were almost indistinguishable.  But, because the E-500 images are subject
to the differences between the C&M use of Tri-X 400 and the E-500 doing a
seemingly flat B&W rendering, an accurate comparison cannot be made.

     This is encouraging, so sometime later when I have sufficient time
available and the clouds are suitable, I will go about and take a number of B&W
photos in TIFF B&W format, then review them and see if the flat B&W rendering
is suitable, or if I should remain with TIFF colour images and post-process
with FilterSim and DxO FilmPack.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson