Re: [OM] Blue and Black or white and gold?

Subject: Re: [OM] Blue and Black or white and gold?
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2015 07:11:15 +0800
Histogram won't tell color, RGB values does, the dress is blue and black according to RGB values although the black is not very pure (somewhat brown).

C.H.Ling

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chuck Norcutt" <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I saw that and wondered what was going on.  As far as I'm concerned it's
a case of color blindness.  I downloaded the image and I see white and
gold.  Looking at the histogram I can see why.  The histogram says I
should be seeing white and I am except for a small blue tint due to the
dress being in shade.

When I adjusted the image to drastically reduce the red component and
slightly reduce the green component (a common form of color blindness)
then I see that the white has turned blue and the gold has turned black.

But 25% is a pretty large number for color blindness although it does
vary significantly in different populations because of the genetic
component.

Wiki says:
Color blindness affects a significant number of people, although exact
proportions vary among groups. In Australia, for example, it occurs in
about 8 percent of males and only about 0.4 percent of females. Isolated
communities with a restricted gene pool sometimes produce high
proportions of color blindness, including the less usual types. Examples
include rural Finland, Hungary, and some of the Scottish islands. In the
United States, about 7 percent of the male population—or about 10.5
million men—and 0.4 percent of the female population either cannot
distinguish red from green, or see red and green differently from how
others do (Howard Hughes Medical Institute, 2006). More than 95 percent
of all variations in human color vision involve the red and green
receptors in male eyes. It is very rare for males or females to be
"blind" to the blue end of the spectrum.

Chuck Norcutt